Sunday, October 08, 2006

Jerry McNerney's Opening Statement & More!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

TRACY PRESS CANDIDATE FORUM

Opening Statement

"My name is Jerry McNerney.

I decided to run for political office in 2004 because I was becoming more and more concerned about the direction of our great nation and I decided that I needed to do everything that I could for my country.

The President and Congressional leaders used the tragic attacks of 9/11 to drive us -- a trusting and patriotic nation -- into an unnecessary war, allowing the vicious people who attacked our country to remain free, while creating a dangerous and volatile situation in the Middle East.

My opponent is satisfied with the progress of the war in Iraq despite overwhelming evidence that the war is actually making America less secure. We need a tough and smart policy in Iraq that makes us more secure.

Even though Mr. Pombo holds a hard line in Iraq, he often votes against veteran’s benefits -- I will vote to make sure that our veterans get the benefits that they’ve earned.

The Republican majority, including my opponent, allow an “anything goes” ethic in Washington, D.C., putting the good of the Party above any standards of decency. I only need to mention Rep. Foley, the VECO scandal, and the flesh trade in the Mariana Islands, and ask Richard Pombo to stand up and take responsibility, or hold those who were responsible for these outrages accountable.

After 14 years in the Congress and four years as chairman of a powerful committee, Richard Pombo should be able to bring some federal programs home. But the record shows that he brings home only about 10% of the highway funds that Rep. Bill Thomas of Bakersfield brings for his district. And this is despite the fact that our roads are crumbling and traffic is a nightmare.

In fact, 14 years later, our local communities are forced to raise local bonds to pay for improvements on federal highways. And what’s his answer to this? To bring the Transportation Secretary to the district two months before the election for a photo op.

Our country needs a new direction. We need honesty, integrity and accountability in Washington, and I'm going to bring that to our district.

Like many of you, I’m a father and a husband who worked throughout my career to give a better life to my children. I’ve struggled to provide for a good education and adequate health care. And I’m determined to work to make health care affordable for all Americans.

On a personal note, I understand the threat of terrorism. I was on a hijacked airline in 1971, spending the night in the air, looking down the barrel of guns held by men who had no respect for human life. America must do everything necessary to defeat the terrorists. This means a tough and smart approach to fighting terrorism. It means using our military effectively. We can defeat (the terrorists), but only if we are smart.

Of the 435 members of Congress, Richard Pombo has been named one of the 13 most corrupt. His party is now pumping $1 million of Washington, D.C., money on negative campaigning to depress voter turnout. Please don’t let that happen.

Please vote for me on November 7th.

Thank you very much." (source)

Read Jerry's Blog - What I said at the debate...

Other Reads

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

SNTP: Pombo And Hastert Sitting In A Tree (source)

Daily Kos: 10/7/06: Canvassing for McNerney in Dublin (CA-11) (source)

Gilroy Dispatch: The Next Political Blockbuster: 'Mr. McNerney Goes to Washington' (source)

Calitics: CA-Gov: Arnold's advice for Mexicans (source)

GovernorPhil.com: The Big Debate Take-Aways (Angelides vs. Schwarzenegger) (source)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home