Thursday, January 18, 2007

Jerry: Good news and bad news

Jerry McNerney: Good news and bad news for you

"I have some good news. And I have some bad news.

The good news is that I was just appointed to the House Science and Technology Committee as well as the Veterans' Affairs Committee -- in addition to my previous appointment to the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee.

As a new member of these important bodies in Congress, I am thrilled to be sinking my teeth into some of the most important issues facing our nation and our district. In these committees, I will be able to research renewable and new energy technology initiatives, explore the impact of our climate crisis, and make sure our veterans are treated with dignity and respect on their return home from serving our country. As you can see, I am taking advantage of every opportunity I can to represent you -- and the issues I ran on -- in Congress.


The bad news?

On January 4, the same day that I was sworn in to our historic new Congress, negative attack mailers from the National Republican Congressional Committee targeting me appeared in the mail boxes of voters across the 11th Congressional District.

...

I'm not sure who is at fault but I do know this: after I defeated one of the most prominent and entrenched House incumbents in America, Republicans in the bowels of Washington are already targeting me for defeat. This mailer is a sobering reminder that they are cranking up their smear machine to take this seat back. They don't even need a candidate to do it.

As you know, I am not interested in the politics of personal destruction. I am interested in the politics of people power.

And, if we are going to realize that power, I need your help now.

Being elected to Congress and appointed to these important House committees is an incredible accomplishment for all of us. But, if we are going to realize our vision for this district and our country, it's going to take more than two years.

...

Support me now so that we, together, can help our nation kick its addiction to oil and turn our district into the "Silicon Valley of renewable energy." Support me now so that we, together, can push our elected leaders to realize the enormity of the climate crisis and what it will take for our country to change course and change the world. Support me now so that we, together, can bring a responsible end to the tragic war in Iraq and take good care of our troops when they return home.

...

http://www.jerrymcnerney.org/commitment

Will our victory in November be a footnote in American history? Or the beginning of a new era in the history of the world?

It's up to you.

No matter what you decide to do, please know that I am eternally grateful for the opportunity you have given me to serve you in the People's House and I will do everything I can to make you proud." (More-At-Source)

Contra Costa Times: McNerney attacked 1 week into job

"The Bay Area's newest Congressman has been seated for only a week, and already the 2008 campaign against him has begun.

The National Republican Congressional Committee -- which spent about $1.4 million in 2006 trying to keep incumbent Richard Pombo in office -- has sent 11th District constituents its first mailer against newly sworn Rep. Jerry McNerney, D-Pleasanton." (source)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home